About Douglas L. McWhorter
Douglas McWhorter practices in the areas of estate planning, estate and trust administration, corporate and business law, and mediation.
Doug obtained his B.A. degree from Samford University of 1967 and his M.B.A. from Samford in 1978. In the interim, he obtained a J.D. degree from Cumberland School of Law in 1973, and a LL.M. from the University of Mississippi in 1976.
Doug served in the United States Army from 1969 to 1971, attaining the rank of First Lieutenant, Infantry. He is a veteran of the Viet Nam conflict and a recipient of the Purple Heart and Combat Infantryman’s Badge.
Doug is admitted to the Alabama and Birmingham Bar Associations. He has served as an adjunct faculty member for Samford University, and continues to serve as a member of the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution. He is registered on the Alabama State Court Mediation Roster and the Alabama Appellate Court Mediation Roster.
Doug has been selected as one of the “Best Lawyers in America®”: Trusts and Estates (Copyright 2017 by Woodward/Wright, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.), and was selected as one of the “Top Attorneys in Birmingham” in the area of trusts and estates. He is also included among Alabama “Super Lawyers®” in the area of estate planning and probate.
Doug is Peer Review Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Doug is married to Carolyn Joyce (Joy), and they have two daughters: Rachel (1982) and Rebecca (1988).
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Samford University 1977 to 2012
- Member, Birmingham, Alabama Bar Association
- Member, The Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution
- Registered on the Alabama State Court Mediation Roster and the Alabama Appellate Court Mediation Roster
- Selected as one of the "Best Lawyers in America®: Trusts & Estates" (Copyright 2011 by Woodward/Wright, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.)
- Also selected as one of the "Top Attorneys in Birmingham: Trusts and Estates."
- Included among, "Alabama Super Lawyers: Estate Planning & Probate"
- U.S. Army, 1969 – 1971 1LT, Infantry