About Sammye Oden Kok
Sammye Oden Kok practices in the area of family law, including divorces, adoptions, and child custody
Sam graduated in 1983 from Cumberland School of Law, after obtaining her B.A. degree in 1974 from Auburn University.
Sam is a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. She is a member of the American, Alabama and Birmingham Bar Associations. She is also registered as an Alabama State Court Mediator with the Alabama Center for Domestic Dispute for civil, domestic, domestic abuse and appellate mediation. She is one of the founding members of the Alabama Academy of Attorney Mediators, and is a frequent speaker on family law, mediation and adoption issues. She is a 2010 recipient of "Super Lawyers" in the area of Family Law and has been listed in the The Best Lawyers in America© since 2014 in the areas of Family Law and Family Law Mediation.
Sam is Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Sammye is married to Corstiaan (Tony) Kok and toghether they have a blended family with 4 adult children and 5 grandchildren
Grandchildren and painting
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers; President: Alabama Chapter 2001 Fellow: 1994 to date
- Member, Alabama State Bar; Disciplinary Rules & Enforcement Committee, 2009 - 2010, Chair: Family Law Section 2008, Family Law Executive Board 2004-2009
- Member, Family Law & Women's Sections
- Member, Birmingham Bar Association 1983 to date
- Executive Committee of the Young Lawyers; Chair of CLE; Member of CLE Ethics Committee, Mediation, Family Law, Public Relations
- Member, Women Lawyers Section & Birmingham Bar, Past Board Member
- Member, Alabama Law Institute Committee - working on various family practice laws, including adoption, joint custody, UCCJEA, Child Support, etc., 1988 - present
- Registered, Alabama State Court Mediator Roster for Civil, Domestic, Domestic Abuse and Appellate Mediation
- Founding Member, the Alabama Academy of Attorney Mediators
- Frequent speaker on Family Law, Adoption Issues and Mediation.